Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Contemplation on New Years Resolutions for 2013




So, it is the New Year and time for new resolutions. Usually, according to statistics from the Australian TV program The Project (01/01/13) by the end of the first month of the year 25% of the promises we have made to ourselves have been broken and during the second month the non-action escalates to 46% of resolutions not being attended to. What kind of conclusion should we draw from that?

The Project concluded tongue in cheek that the resolutions were made by people who were mostly dunk and who cares for the promises made while being affected by alcohol anyway! I feel though that the data shows the volatility of people in general. Our promises are often made while 'crossing the fingers' behind our backs. New Year's Resolutions are often made just because it is part of the celebration tradition and not because people seriously think of commitment. Inspiring? Not in the least.

However, this year I was inspired by finding my hidden practical abilities instead of making promises I wouldn't keep. I am figuring that by appreciating what I find I didn't know or remember I can do, I could commit my abilities to refocusing in committing to my already so many times thought over and voiced New Years Resolutions. No need to make so many new ones. I already had made them ten times before so they must be good and important.


I found that I can for example read 'complicated' IKEA furniture assembly instructions and by following the steps, I can put together any number of pieces of furniture, like sofas, TV stands and most importantly bed frames all on my own. Surely some sweat and some mishaps have gone into the project but mostly the results have given me a huge boost of confidence in myself and my abilities to do whatever I want to accomplish.
Taking the cue from what I have now learned about me, I find myself more confident in writing down my annual list of what I want for the new year.



Here is an example of how to do an action plan for 2013 New Years Resolution list:

First evaluate the last year's resolutions. Hopefully they were written down for evidence based data collection.
I prefer to have them under four categories: Emotional, Mental, Financial and Physical.
It is surprising how many items can be ticked off from the list.

Secondly, think how you really want your life to be a year from now. Even write a letter for yourself dated on the next New Year of the gone year. Then break the resolutions to smaller actionable bits.

Thirdly, make a monthly/weekly action plan depending on the suitability of the resolution. Some resolutions are statements of intentions on where you want your life path to lead.

Fourthly, and most importantly believe in your own ability to commit to the plan. It only takes four weeks to develop it into a habit.

Have a great New Year and enjoy your new found happiness in yourself.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment